Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Blessings of Tidying Up!


Have you heard of the extremely popular book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up? A young woman who has always loved to keep things clean and orderly has written a book that she claims is "life-changing!" I definitely don't agree with her religious views but she did teach me some things that I want to share with you. I love learning from many different people! {Of course, God's Truth is my favorite thing.}

First of all, I tried doing her folding clothes and laying them vertically in the drawers' idea. It lasted for a few weeks but was just too impractical for me. However, it helped me to figure out a new arrangement for all of my clothes! First, I did get rid of everything I didn't wear which was about four bags full and gave them away. Then I decided to move everything into my closet so I could dress in one place!

In the picture above, I hang all of my tops which I MUCH prefer to folding them and putting them in a drawer. I have a shelf underneath where I put all of my sweaters, jeans and shorts. I hang my scarves, necklaces and belts on a belt hanger. 


On the other side of the closet, I have a hanging shoe rack that I keep my underwear, bras, socks, and pajamas in. {I did take some of those things out for the picture since I didn't want the world to see them!} I hang up my robes, sweaters, jackets, dresses and pants. At the end of the closet, I have a chair that I can use to sit on if I need it; like when I put on socks or pants. I LOVE having this! I use to have to go all over our bedroom getting things to wear. Now, I have everything I need in my closet.

On her advice about books, I did get rid of about eight bags of books. She made a great point that we rarely read a book more than once. I kept only the books that I thought I would need for reference or I absolutely loved. As you know, I don't like a lot of clutter so I try to get rid of anything that I am not using. I don't mind empty space!

Now, when it comes to decluttering your husband's stuff, don't! I use to but it always made Ken very upset. I wouldn't want someone else throwing out my stuff without asking! What I do now is gather all the things I don't think he wears anymore and put it in a big pile. I let him decide what to keep and what to give away.

Another thing I learned on my own; time yourself when you empty the dishwasher, make your bed, clean up your kitchen, sweep the floors, fold a pile of laundry, etc. It takes me 5 minutes to empty the dishwasher, 1 minute to make my bed, 10 minutes to clean up my kitchen, etc. It's not much time, yet makes a TON of difference to the cleanliness of my home. Whenever I am tired now or feeling too lazy to do something, I remember how little time it takes to tidy up my home!

The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, 
while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.
Proverbs 13:4