Thursday, May 8, 2014

Homemakers Who Store Clutter


There are so many stories about hoarders these days. So many people have homes full of stuff. I was watching the channel about homes recently and they were showing some old homes. All of the closets were tiny since most people didn't own that many clothes back then. Of course, the people looking wanted to redo them and make them large walk in closets to store all of their clothes, shoes, purses, etc.

Why do we think we need so many clothes? I rarely even notice what someone wears and if I do, it doesn't make the person more special to me. We have become a nation of hoarders, as if this is our home and we need lots of stuff.

I visited this one person I know and throughout her whole home we had to walk through tiny rows from room to room because there was so much stuff. I like my bathroom counters almost empty. I like my kitchen counters with as few of things as possible on top of them. I have very few knick knacks. I hate clutter!

If you haven't worn something for a year toss it, unless it is a very special dress used for special occasions. You don't need that many shoes and purses. I have two purses, my every day one and one for special occasions. I probably own about eight pairs of shoes.  I try to stay away from malls and places to buy clothes since I know, deep in my heart, that I have plenty of clothes and there is so many better ways to spend our money, like helping others.

In your kitchen, if you have more than one or two of anything, give it away. Give old appliances that you no longer use away. You don't need five spatulas or ten salad bowls.  Only keep the appliances you use on a regular basis on your counters. My favorite book on clutter is by Don Aslett called Clutter's Last Stand.

God calls us not to store our treasures on earth. EVERYTHING on earth is going to burn up. I am not too sentimental, therefore, I don't hold onto things just because. I know they are not going to last any ways, take up space, and cause clutter, so I let them go.

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through not steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Matthew 6:19-21

Where do you store your treasures?