Thursday, May 15, 2014

Dangers of Turmeric


Everyone is touting the wonders of Turmeric for inflammation in the body, improving your digestion, healing high blood pressure, etc. Even Dr. Weil was on Dr. Oz yesterday touting how great Turmeric is for us.

 I was in a car accident 25 years ago, smashed between two semi-trucks with double whiplash. I had to have my neck fused but whenever I pick up anything too heavy, I inflame it again and am in pain for many weeks. I eventually found out how to calm it down with a ton of icing!

Several years ago, I hurt my neck again.This time, however, I decided to try taking Turmeric every day also, on top of icing, to try and get rid of the inflammation faster. I would take a half a teaspoon in juice every morning and drink it down. After a month, my neck was so much worse. It felt like it was on fire. I finally figured out that it was my esophagus that was inflamed and the intense pain was radiating to my neck!

I searched on the Internet and found that Turmeric is a very strong spice and can lead to ulcers and gastritis, therefore, I had fried my esophagus from the Turmeric! After brain surgery years earlier, I had fried my esophagus and stomach from the high doses of cortisone the doctors put me on. The doctors then treated me for acid reflux for several years with no success. I knew I didn't want to go that route again.

Once again, I lived on Aloe Vera juice, very soft mild food and took a small dose of HCL after eating protein to make sure my food digested well and wouldn't cause me more problems. It took a good month and a ton of pain to heal, but it finally did. Therefore, be VERY careful taking Turmeric. Herbs are not as innocent as they appear. You need to be careful with any herb or drug you put into your mouth. Research it thoroughly before taking! It is always best to find out a way for your own body to heal itself rather than taking drugs since there are NO side effects when your body heals itself and it does a much better job!

***Remember, I'm NOT a doctor. I'm just a homemaker who loves to research 
natural cures and have found many that have worked for my family and me. Information I have given is for educational and informational purposes only and to motivate you to make your own health care and dietary decisions based upon your own research and in partnership with your health care provider. Any statements or claims about the possible health benefits conferred by any foods or supplements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Nothing you read here should be relied upon to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or course of treatment.