Monday, November 19, 2012

Playing With Grandbaby


If I were to have children all over again, I would do it much differently today.  I get to babysit my grandbaby often and I have learned something.  I've learned to stop and smell the roses.
 
When she comes over, I spend a lot of time with her.  We look at magazines and I point out various objects and tell her the names of them.  We go in the backyard and use old, dried out pumpkins like they were rattles to sing and dance with.   We pick apples from the tree and eat them.  We pick grass and weeds.  We sit in the sunshine.
 
I take her on walks around the neighborhood.  She smiles at all the neighbors and blows them kisses.  It is the most adorable thing.  Our walks are very slow because she likes to stop and smell the flowers and watch the little boys on their bikes and skateboards.  She loves petting the dogs that come by.
 
I like life a lot slower.  Since my six months of being housebound, I have had to learn to take life slower.  I have to be careful I don't hurt my neck.  I have to eat slowly so I don't hurt my esophagus.  I walk slower because my body has been through a lot.  But you know what, I like life being slower.
 
When I was raising children, I was too busy to sit down and play and read to them much.  I hardly ever remember doing that.  I was too busy cooking, cleaning, going to Bible studies, decorating, etc.  Oh, how I wish I would have just sat down and played with my children more.  However, I am so happy that I have the wisdom to do that with my grandbaby.
 
Learn from other's mistakes.  If you have small children, spend a lot of time with them.  They grow up much too quickly and leave you.  They are so precious.  They are eternal souls and need you.
 
Teach them to your children,
 talking about them when you sit at home
and when you walk along the road,
when you lie down and when you get up.