Monday, May 6, 2013

An Empty Refrigerator


Any woman, who forsakes those within her home in favor of a ministry, job, or hobby outside of it, causes her home to lie empty, her husband to struggle without his help meet, and her children to live as if they were orphans.

When I was waiting for yet another blood draw, there was a People magazine in the waiting room.  On the cover was Carrie Underwood advertising an interview she did about her marriage.  I didn't get to read all of it but enough to make me sad.

Carrie has been on the road for eight months and has hardly seen her husband.  She said it makes her sad that she can't take care of him.  She comes home and the refrigerator is empty.  She did say she would quit if he ever asked her to but she loves performing.

Remember when Drew Brees won the Superbowl and on the platform where he accepted the trophy, he was holding his precious, little son?  What do you think was more valuable to him, his trophy or his son?  His trophy will gather dust and no one will remember it someday.

Our true treasures on this earth are our relationships.  As soon as I found out my tumor had returned, I called Ken, then my mom and dad, and then I let all my children know.  They are my treasures.  I didn't care about my home, vacations, or buying expensive clothing.  I just wanted to be comforted and loved by my family.  They all immediately responded with tears and comfort.

All of life's stuff is going to burn.  Fame, fortune, etc. don't last.  Don't spend your valuable time on things that don't last.  Treasure your family and always be there for them, so they will treasure you when hard times come.  They need quality and quantity time.

But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven,
where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt,
and where thieves do not break through nor steal.
Matthew 6:20