Saturday, March 23, 2013

Get Some Sunshine!


Have you noticed the flu hits in the dead of winter?  Colds are prevalent then also.  They are discovering that it is due to a lack of Vitamin D.  The best way to get Vitamin D is from the sun, imagine that!  They keep discovering what God made is the best for us.

One woman told me about her two grandmothers.  One never went in the sun, had beautiful skin, but always struggled with ill health.  Her other grandmother was always outside in the sun, had wrinkled skin, but was full of vitality and good health.

Florence Nightingale is known for saying that the patients who were on the southern side of the hospital building got well while those on the northern side did not.  When looking for a home, I always looked for a sunny one with a western or southern exposure.  I always keep all my window coverings up during the day to allow the sun to permeate my home.

Ken and I walk outside every day. We love being outside in the sunshine. When we walk on Saturdays along the beach, there are a ton of people walking, running, and riding bikes. Few people in San Diego are out of shape. Most people exercise a lot and eat fairly healthy. Children should play outside as much as possible.  It is conducive to staying healthy. 

When my mom had colitis and went to health resorts, they always had the sick people sit in the sun for an hour a day in the morning or afternoon. Whenever my children got sick, I would encourage them to go in the backyard and sit in the sun.  I never encouraged sunscreen. I just don't trust putting a ton of chemicals on your skin. Now, whenever I have a sore that doesn't heal, I use Black Salve and it works great!!

Here is another great article by Dr. Mercola and the benefits of sunshine and the importance of vitamin D in the fight against infection. Do what you can to stay healthy and leave the rest in God's hands.

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
Psalm 119:105