Friday, May 24, 2013

The Secret To Losing Weight


Eat less. Move more. That is it. There is no secret. Trisha Yearwood just lost thirty pounds and said this was her secret. For her it is a battle every day to not eat that cookie and she is usually slightly hungry. 

My parents just met with three other couples that they have been friends with since they were young. My dad told me that out of the four couples, one was thin and in shape. The rest were twenty to thirty pounds overweight. They were all in their eighties but this thin couple looked ten years younger than the rest. They go to the gym five days a week and eat in moderation.

My dad told me he gets a ton of health magazines and preaches the benefit of antioxidants and being in shape, yet he struggles to lose weight. He knows he should but it is so difficult once you put on the weight.

It is being said that this generation will not live longer than previous generations because of being overweight. It is a serious problem that leads to many diseases.

I know it is difficult to lose weight. I think the only reason I stay so thin is from two brain surgeries and a neck fusion with feeling poorly most of the time. It affects my stomach so I am not that hungry. Whenever I go through times when I feel well, I have to battle my appetite and my weight so I know it isn't easy.

So I don't have a secret to losing weight, except I would encourage you to give up sugar completely if you can since it is so addictive and destructive on our health. Don't let that cookie or piece of cake control and master you.  You master it! I would also encourage you to just eat as healthy as you can and exercise as much as you can. 

We are commanded to be known for our moderation and gluttony is a sin. We are told we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. We have everything we need for life and godliness, including self-control. Now, I guess we just need to start believing God's many promises to us and act upon them.

Let your moderation be known unto all men.
The Lord is at hand.
Philippians 4:5