Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Door County, Wisconsin


I'm thinking that about this time of year all my relatives in the Chicago area are longing for Door County.  My grandpa bought land there in Wisconsin on Lake Michigan (the Green Bay side) around the time I was born, 52 years ago.  He built a cabin on it and we have enjoyed vacationing there ever since. 

The water is clean and clear.

The air is fresh.

There isn't a fast food joint or stoplight within 50 miles.

Sleeping to the sound of crashing waves is heavenly. It's SO peaceful and quiet. 

We don't lock our doors. 

We keep our keys in the cars.

It seems to be a taste of what God meant for life on planet earth to be like before sin and death destroyed it all.

Both of my sisters, Alisa and Debbi, fell in love with their soul mates there, so did my daughter, Alyssa. I conceived three babies there...It is very romantic!  My daughter-in-law and my son-in-law, Erin and Jon, already love it there.  Who wouldn't?  Because of Door County, I grew up knowing most of my relatives whom I love being with.

We spend the days going on long walks,

exploring the place on mopeds,

riding on the wave runner and in Wesley's fast boat,

wake boarding,

water skiing,

swimming to the point,

relaxing in the sun on the dock,

singing around the campfire making smores,

golfing,

shopping in all the quaint stores,

happy hour with my sister, Alisa, having margaritas and nachos,

family dinners with fresh caught white fish and wine (and of course, my salads),

eating,  talking,  eating,  talking,

going to Not Licked Yet for the most incredible frozen custard that melts before you can eat it,

eating homemade pizza at the Wild Tomato,

watching the beautiful sunsets on the deck.

Did I miss anything? Oh my, do we all long for Door County!

Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours.
I Chronicles 29:11