Thursday, March 10, 2011

Treasures In Trials

Trials, conflicts, battles, and testings lie along the way and are to be counted not as misfortunes but rather as part of our necessary discipline.
{Streams in the Desert}

Do you believe this to be true? The Bible does say that we are to consider it all joy when you encounter various trials because the testing of your faith produces perseverance, etc. So why are trials for our good and what do they accomplish?

I was very sick for over twenty years. I had numerous parasites for years which caused continual stomach pain and health issues. Then I had a brain tumor and had to have brain surgery. After that I had to have my neck fused because a disk in my neck was protruding into my spinal cord causing me tremendous pain and difficulty walking. So I know what pain and trials feel like. I think most people do.

However, the whole time I was going through this, I never asked, "Why me?" I think I rather thought, "Why not me?"  I knew I was missing out on a lot in life, like having no fun at all and not having friends, but I knew that what was happening to me would not be happening if God didn't allow it.

Everything that happens to us has to pass through the hands of a loving Father. I had to keep reminding myself of this truth because the biggest battle you have when you are in such pain is with your mind and your thoughts. I had to keep renewing my mind with God's truth and rest in His promises. I knew He would give me the strength I needed, would never leave me nor forsake me, and that all things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purposes.

I do believe the first sentence I quoted is true. God has brought a lot of good things out of my many trials. Unfortunately, we don't learn much through prosperity and good times but we do through trials. I learned so much about relying on Him, seeking those things which are above, how to be a good wife and mother, that this world isn't my home and storing my treasures in heaven is a great place to store treasure. "

The joy of the Lord is my strength!
Nehemiah 8:10