Friday, March 8, 2013

The European Way of Life


Ali, my sweet niece, attended a chef training program for health and culinary arts at the Natural Gourmet Institute in NYC and lived there for 15 months. She is a talented cook. This is a picture of one of her creations ~

Fresh kale salad with roasted vegetables
{parsnips, golden beets, & brussel sprouts},
red onion, pomegranates & homemade vinaigrette.
Crumbled goat cheese & toasted hazelnuts on the side.

Here are a few thoughts from Ali on the gift of food and fellowship ~

A pivotal moment in my culinary-food awareness was during a trip to France with cousin Cassi. We had the opportunity to experience the 'European way of life' staying at relatives' home in a tiny town just outside of Paris.

Every evening consisted of a two to three hour meal, in which case we, of course, ate delicious fresh food, enjoyed each other's company, shared stories, and laughed until our sides hurt. For whatever reason, those long suppers stuck with me and revealed quite a bit about the role {or gift rather} of food in life.

I learned that food is meant to be enjoyed and to play the catalyst in some time of precious fellowship, wonderful celebration, and abundant gratitude. I have witnessed {personally as well as in other's lives} that inviting laughter, fellowship and thankfulness around the dinner table is highly health promoting, which leads me to introduce my other passion - health and healing through food. Combining these two passions - food and nutrition - is what fuels a majority of my culinary creations.

And I commend joy, for man has no good thing
under the sun but to eat and drink and be joyful,
for this will go with him in his toil through
the days of his life that God has given him under the sun.
Ecclesiastes 8:15