Monday, April 11, 2011

I Am Not Perfect

Being able to admit this to myself has been huge!  I have a strong, controlling personality.  I think I know best and I want to be right all the time. Ask my family, they know.  I want to be perfect. 

Recently, however, I decided that I wasn't perfect and I never will be while I remain on this earth.  This has freed me to be able to accept criticism, correction, and rebuke.  I want people to be able to tell me when I have said the wrong things, hurt their feelings, been selfish, or irresponsible without being upset with them. 

The Bible says, A wise man takes rebuke {Proverbs 9:8}.  I want to be wise.   I don't always have to be right, I don't know everything, and I don't always see me for who I am.  "

Iron sharpens iron {Proverbs 27:17}.  It is never pleasant to realize that other people see you as less than perfect.  It is humiliating.  But the fruit of other people's correction and rebuke, if we accept it, works to make us better people.  We are not an island.  We need each other, even if means it will hurt our feelings.