Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Raising Healthy Children


When I was growing up, I can't remember anybody with allergies, asthma, or autism.  We always had cats and no one seemed allergic to them.  I heard a statistic that 1 in 30,000 children use to have autism.  Now it is 1 in 50. 

Something is going wrong...A book that I referred to frequently when I was raising children was How To Raise Healthy Children In Spite Of Your Doctor.  The author, Dr. Mendelsohn, was a pediatrician for over 30 years and gives good, solid advice. He wrote that when your child is sick or has an infection of any kind, take him off all sugar and feed him real healthy. I gave my children lots of fruit and lemon, honey water. 

He believed the immune system was very powerful and God knew what he was doing when he created our bodies.  Fevers are good {unless they are extremely high}.  They burn away the bad bugs and infections.  Coughing is good.  It is your bodies way of getting rid of mucous.  Drugs don't heal.  They just treat the symptoms but don't get to the root cause of illness.  They are toxic to the body. Read all the side effects of any drug. Your immune system is what heals. {A Healthy Immune System}

Dr. Mendelsohn found that children with ear infections healed just as quickly whether they were given antibiotics or not.  The only difference was the ones who were given antibiotics had reoccurring ear infections and the other ones that were given no antibiotics did not have reoccurring ear infections.  The body had built up an immunity to the infection. 

When Steven was young, he was very allergic to poison ivy.  Every spring his face would swell up like a balloon and he looked terrible.  Everyone thought I should take him to the doctor for cortisone shots.  I didn't want that.  Know what?   Every summer, he was less and less swollen until he was hardly affected by it.  His own immune system built up an immunity to it.

None of my children had allergies or asthma growing up.  Since the boys left home and ate college food, they have both developed an allergy to cats. They never had that when they were home eating my good, healthy food. 

I believe all the antibiotics and hormones in our meat and milk is messing up the gut and good health begins with a healthy gut.  Did you know 25% of girls are starting puberty at seven years old now from all the hormones in the meat and milk?  Not good...

When my children went to kindergarten, I think the required amount of immunizations was five.  Now it is 49 vaccinations before the age of six!  That sounds way too extreme for me.  We chose not to vaccinate any of our children after reading all the pros and cons.  This is up to each family to decide, however, but I encourage you to study up on it.  Health is a precious thing to lose.

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, 
do it all for the glory of God.  
I Corinthians 10:31