Saturday, May 5, 2012

Chicken, Basil, and Kidney Bean Stew


Everything I cook is easy and healthy. I am not a gourmet cook.
I like things real simple.
I use mostly organic ingredients in all my cooking.
This is a simple, healthy stew. It is very filling and yummy!

In a large pan put ~

3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 stalks chopped up celery
3 chopped carrots
1 large chopped onion

Saute about 10 minutes.

Stir in 2 {14-1/2 ounce} cans chopped organic tomatoes with their juices
2 {14-ounce} cans chicken broth. I use my Homemade Chicken Broth.
1 cup fresh basil leaves
2 bay leaves
{I have a bay leaf bush in my back yard so I have LOTS of bay leaves!}
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
Juice of 1/2 lemon
4 chicken breast with ribs
or add some roasted chicken cut up when the stew is done cooking 
{This is what I do with all my soups since I make so many roasted chickens and I think chicken tastes best roasted.}
2 {15-ounce} cans organic kidney beans, or make your own ~
Soak 2 cups kidney beans in water over night.
Add 1 Tablespoon of salt.
Bring water to boil.
Cook on low for an hour.
Drain and use for stew.
1/2 cup organic brown rice or quinoa

Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour, less if using quinoa.

Take the chicken out and shred into bite-sized pieces. Return to stew. Salt and pepper to taste. If you used homemade chicken broth, you won't need as much salt and pepper.