Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Joyously Celebrating the Holidays



Some Christians don't celebrate the holidays and I respect their decision. However, those of us who do celebrate them should use them as a time to shine the light of Jesus. I have gone back and forth with celebrating Halloween as I have shared HERE. With my children all grown up and married and since my health has not been that good, we usually just put a sign on the front door that says we have no candy. However, this past Halloween I changed my mind.

Kara Tippetts is dying of cancer. She has four young children. Here is what she had to say about Halloween, "I pray tonight you have the opportunity to love and meet your neighborhood. I pray you get to smile in the young faces that come to your door and radiate the beauty you know in Jesus. I pray as you meet your neighbors and love them with your brand of beautiful Big LOVE. I hope to meet and warm a few new faces by my fire tonight. Some of you darken your doors on this day. The freedom we are given in Jesus is to do that or to open wide our doors and meet the faces that come tromping to our door. There is liberty for us all. I do not wish to start a debate on this issue. Simply tell you tonight, the fire pit is moving from the back yard to the front yard, and the Holy Spirit in my soul will be meeting the faces that enter the warmth of my fire with the known grace I enjoy today." So I ran down to Costco and handed out candy to the children who came to my door.

 Kirk Cameron is a movie star who is bold about his faith in Jesus. He wants other to know the love of Jesus. He said this recently in an interview, "Let your children, your family, see your joy in the way that you decorate your home this Christmas, in the food that you cook, the songs you sing, the stories you tell and the traditions that you keep," the 44-year-old actor/director says. "Christmas is about joy and if the joy of the Lord is your strength, remember the joy of the mom is her children's strength."

Thursday is Thanksgiving. I am sure many of you will be with family members. Some of them may be unbelievers or difficult to get along with. Love them. Remember that we are to overcome evil with good and heap burning coals {love} upon our enemies head. Think of God's grace gently and softly raining down upon you, enfolding you in its embrace with forgiveness and love. Now extend that grace to those around you; whether it be your family, neighbors, or even your enemies.

Happy Thanksgiving and may you be filled with the 
kindness and mercy of our dear Lord!

This is the day which the LORD hath made; 
we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:2