Saturday, April 26, 2014

Laine's Letters And Paying Off Debt, Part 3


Laine was able to pay off her home in Southern California even though her husband never made more than $29,000 a year. She was extremely careful with her money and always asked God for wisdom. I am summarizing her letter on paying off debt. The series begins HERE.

The above picture is of our dining room. The dining set was passed down from my parents. It's a large table and we have shared many wonderful family memories here. The chandelier was a gift from my parents when we moved to our last home so we brought it to this home 16 years ago! The beautiful centerpiece was made by my very talented daughter-in-law who has her own etsy shop HERE. She did all the flowers at both of my daughters' weddings.

9 ~ I save a lot of money on food by cooking from scratch and by continuing to try new recipes in my kitchen. I make a lot of things from scratch including some cleansers and cheese, buttermilk, yogurt, etc. I make almost all of our bread and keep stretching myself in this area to include all types of bread. "In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all that he has." {Proverbs 21:20} I pray before I shop, while I shop, and then after I shop as to what I will cook. I love shopping with the Lord! I shop from many stores and loss leaders so I shop weekly. About eating out, that is something we don't do very often, so it's really special when we do eat out. I love the Dollar Stores and have found many great deals there. Also Big Lots is another favorite of mine. It's really amazing how much you can save by simply staying home. ~Smile~

10 ~ Savings must be like a bill that you pay. It really helps to look at it that way and to get it into another account as soon as possible. "After all, children should not have to save up for their parents, but parents for their children." {2 Corinthians 12:14}

11 ~ An emergency savings is good to have in your house for emergencies. This also should not be touched unless you have to use it. I learned this from a book about the depression. It's so good to have on hand.

12 ~ I read Christian finance books frequently. {She then lists books by Larry Burkett, Ron Blue, Mary Hunt, Tightwad Gazette, and Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy.}

13 ~ We don't have any cable, so we don't get much reception. But I figure we have saved approximately $6000 in the past 17 years living without cable. {You could save a lot more than that these days!}

14 ~ We also do not have Internet access. Whenever we need to use the Internet, I use it at the library for free.

15 ~ I try to keep us as healthy as possible by good food with quality ingredients. "She is like the merchant ships, she brings her food from afar." I study health, nutrition, and herbs as much as I do stretching our finances. It has saved our teeth, since we don't have dental insurance. I am amazed at a woman's saving power in the home. It's such a blessing! Time is money. What we do with our time results in how our money is spent, one way or another. I keep studying Proverbs 31 and praying through the verses to learn to practice all that God would have me to practice in keeping this home. I recognize that in my home keeping ~ spiritual, emotional, and physical health is going on. It's all so invaluable that you can't put a price tag on it.

16 ~ It's so true that if you waste not, you want not. I'm always looking for ways to stretch something a little farther. "Better to go to be supperless, than to rise in debt." {Benjamin Franklin}

Part 4