Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Getting Trophies for Nothing


My children got trophies for nothing. The team parents would ask all of us to pay $15 for a plastic trophy for our child for playing soccer, basketball or baseball. I hated giving that $15 since I didn't believe a child should be rewarded with a trophy for simply playing a game. One year when Steven was very young, his team won one game the whole year, yet they all got a trophy. Blech!

I completely agree with James Harrison from the Pittsburgh Steelers for stating the obvious! It's along the same line of not keeping score when the boys were young so as not to "hurt" any one's feelings when everyone knew full well what the score was. Children are much smarter than this! Teachers stopped using red pens for fear it would hurt children's self-esteem. All of this is detrimental to children and is not preparing them for life in the real world.

When my boys were older, their teams would go to tournaments and sometimes win. Those trophies meant something! When Steven was a senior in high school, his basketball team went all the way to the California state basketball championship game and this trophy meant something. Yes, most boys and girls will never have the chance to earn a trophy in a state championship game but they can still have a great life! Ryan, my older son, was never in a state championship game, yet he has a great life. He works hard, loves the Lord and loves his family.

Children's self-esteem doesn't come from a trophy; it comes from knowing who they are in Christ; for we are NOTHING without Him. I don't care how many Superbowl rings Tom Brady has; it still won't be enough. Nothing on this earth can satisfy that deep longing in all of us to feel special and that our life matters. Giving a child a plastic, meaningless trophy will not accomplish this. 

Therefore, women, it is your responsibility to build your child's self-esteem by teaching them who they are in Christ; they are a child of the most high God, the Creator of the universe! Preach the Gospel to them early and often. There is nothing inside of them that makes them worthy outside of Jesus. He is the only One that can make them worthy. Encourage your children to work for eternal rewards that last forever; storing their treasures in heaven where moth or rust will not destroy. The world will continue to give out awards, accolades and rings ad naseum, but those receiving them will wake up the next morning with an emptiness knowing that there's got to be more to life than this. This something more is Jesus. "In Christ alone, my hope is found. He is my light, my strength, my song!"

The LORD is my strength and my shield; 
My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; 
Therefore my heart exults, 
And with my song I shall thank Him.
Psalm 28:7