Saturday, February 11, 2012

Seek First His Kingdom


Whenever Ken and I mentor a couple, one of the first things we encourage them to do is to read a chapter of the Bible everyday together and pray.  His Word is living and active and changes you.  It is important to be in His Word daily to remind ourselves how we are to live and who we are in Christ.

We, as believers, should be content, happy, and peaceful witnesses to the greatness of God as we choose daily to walk in the Spirit. The way that we live our lives should attract others to Jesus.  When we love those around us and show them God's joy, they just may want what we have!

Joyless Christians don't do the work of God any good.  Who wants that?  If you aren't joyful, examine yourselves to make sure you are in the faith.  If you have hidden sins, confess them to someone you trust who will pray with you and hold you accountable.  Do everything in your power to walk closely with Jesus.

Join a good, Bible believing church.  Attend regularly even if you don't agree with everything taught 100%.  Get involved.  Walk up to people and be friendly instead of waiting for people to be friendly with you.  People are attracted to warm and friendly people.

Be committed to your church.  Love others in spite of their failings.  Be at peace with others.  Be the maintainer of peace!  If you have an issue with someone, go to them privately in love.

I love getting up first thing in the morning, reading a few devotionals, praying, and studying a chapter or two of the Bible.  I love meditating on verses.  I read the same verses everyday for a week so I really understand them and they go from my head to my heart.

I have a prayer list that I pray over every day.  If I tell someone I am going to pray for them, I put it on my list and pray for them.  God tells us we don't have because we don't ask, so ask in faith believing he rewards those who earnestly seek Him.

Don't nag your husband to do this with you.  Ask him once.  If he doesn't want to do it, start praying that God will convict His heart about it.  Then leave it safely in God's hands.  He is mighty to do more than we can even ask or imagine.

What things so ever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. 
Mark 11:24

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Colossians 3:16