Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Flicking A Baby's Cheek


Boy, did I get it  from some of you for flicking my babies' cheeks when they were nursing and bit me.  I only had to do it once to each of them and they stopped.  I did it hard enough that they cried.  I didn't want my breast bitten into.  I meant business.  I wasn't going to fool around with them in this area.  They were not going to get away with it.

Many of you commented on my last post how horrible I was for doing that.  I have a question for all of you:  Did you vaccinate your babies at two months old?  The nurse or doctor sticks needles into them and causes them pain.  They scream and cry.  They hate it.  You allow them to hurt your baby, because you feel it is what is best for your baby.

Most babies right after they are born are pricked in the heel with a needle.  My babies screamed when they did that.  It caused pain.  The doctors did it to check their blood to see if they were healthy.  Is that horrible???

Pain isn't always a bad thing as many of you think it is.  One flick on the cheek and my babies never bit me again.  They learned VERY quickly that they couldn't get away with that.  Several swats on their hand when they were crawling and putting their fingers into a light socket taught them not to do that anymore.  It was a quick and easy learning tool for us.

As they got a bit older, a few swats on their bottom taught them that when we told them to do something, they did it.  They learned to be obedient pretty much before they were two years old.  We had to say things once and they obeyed.  It was wonderful!

So pain from a needle, a flick on the cheek, or a swat on the hand or bottom...I don't see any difference.  They all cause pain but they are all used for the child's good.  If you don't want to discipline your babies and children that way, it is fine with me.  Use whatever methods you want, but just make sure you teach them to obey you. 

But to act like I abused my children is just plain ridiculous.  The proof is in the pudding.  My children never went through the terrible twos or were rebellious teenagers.  Consistent discipline with unconditional love is a wonderful formula from Scripture on how to raise good children. 

Discipline your children while there is hope. Otherwise you will ruin their lives.
Proverbs 19:18

Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul.
Proverbs 29:17

P.S.  Someone commented how unhappy my boys looked in the last picture.  Here is a recent picture of them.  They are very happy and well adjusted despite enduring pain!

Better Mom Mondays