Monday, May 9, 2016

Introduction to To Train Up a Child Study


Yes, I am sure some of you think I am crazy for doing a study of this book since it is so controversial but for those who know me well enough know that this has never stopped me before. As you have seen, I am a huge fan of the Pearls. I am who I am today because of their teachings. Debi's book Created to Be His Help Meet changed my marriage. Michael Pearl's study of Romans taught me clearly who I am in Christ and what all of this means for me now. 

Ken and I didn't have To Train Up a Child when we were raising our children. We were firm, consistent, set biblical boundaries and loved them deeply. I was home full-time with them and Ken worked hard to provide. After I met the Pearls, my children were almost all grown up but I bought To Train Up a Child to check it out. After reading it, I told Ken, "We raised our children the way they teach parents to raise their children." How do they teach? They teach what the Bible teaches and this is why I love their teachings so much. They aren't afraid to teach what is unpopular as long as it is what the Bible states. Michael exhorted us to not just believe him when we were at a conference of his learning Hebrews. He said to go home and check it out in the Bible. I am the same way. Don't just believe what I teach but be like the Bereans and get your Bibles open to make sure that what I teach lines up with God's Word. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so {Acts 17:11}.

The Pearls wrote this book because a woman wrote them and asked, "How did you train your children to be so happy and obedient?" The book was his answer to this question! I was around some of his children for a week. They are joyful and friendly! He writes about his life today, "Our children are all grown, ranging from 31 to 41 years of age. They have given us 22 grandchildren so far, with two more on the way. They love God and are great parents, fully supportive of their parents, employing us as babysitters on a regular basis. Our home remains full of little running feet and is regularly strewn with books and toys. I am teaching a new generation of boys and girls how to fish and throw knives. Deb is teaching the girls how to cook and garden. I am now Big Papa and Deb is Mama Pearl."

This is a lot like our lives now except we only have three grandchildren and two soon to be born. Doing things God's ways reaps God's blessings. If you had a rotten childhood, begin a new, godly generation. Learn from others who have gone before you and have raised children who all walk in Truth.

Children are not disciplined today. It's difficult to find children that respect authority and obey their parents. Even Christians fail to raise their children in the nurture and the admonition of the Lord. We need to search the Scriptures in order to learn how to raise our children. God didn't leave us on our own in this very important part of our lives. He wants us raising godly offspring. He wants a family; a remnant to call His own. He wants women getting married, bearing children, and keeping the home because this is what is best for the children and ultimately for society. 

Raising children is not easy. It's exhausting and time consuming but if done correctly, it can be a joy and the most treasured time in your life. Having children that obey you immediately, are respectful, hard-working, and walk in Truth is the greatest joy a parent can have. Part of loving your children is training them up in the ways of the Lord. It is the greatest gift you can give them; to have self-control and be disciplined. If you can buy the book, do so sometime this week so you can follow along with me as I teach the biblical principles in this great book!

Train up a child in the way he should go: 
and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6