Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Mothers Leaving The Home Contributed To The Fattening Of America


There are  always new reasons I am figuring out how women leaving their homes and getting careers has harmed our society. Sheila from To Love, Honor, And Vacuum wrote a piece years ago called My Theory Why Kids Are Overweight. Her conclusion is due to women leaving their homes, even though she doesn't state it that way or find the solution in mothers going back home.

When mothers left their homes for careers, fast food became the norm. Mothers were no longer around to shop for nutritious food and then prepare it. Mothers were no longer around to be at parks or in the neighborhoods to watch the children play outside. Families began relying on fast food, processed and packaged food, and junk food. Children began eating poorly and exercising less. They came home to empty homes and entertained themselves by eating junk food and watching junk television. Families stopped having family dinners together. Thus, children became overweight.

When my children were very young, I drove a half hour to a healthy food store to buy nutritious food for my family. I spent a lot of time in the kitchen preparing healthy food for them. Every afternoon, I would go into the cul-de-sac and watch them play outside with all the neighborhood children when they were young. If they weren't in the cul-de-sac, they were in the backyard playing. I wouldn't allow them to come home, eat junk food, and watch television when they were older. I was there, guarding and watching over my family and home.

Was I perfect? No, and I hope I never come across that way but I was home taking care of my family where I believe mothers should be. Running a home and taking care of a family takes a lot of time and energy. It is absolutely a full-time job. We should have never left this very important job for others to do, others who don't care about our family's health. We gave away our family's health to big corporations who use the lowest quality food, including chemicals not designed for human consumption and were only in it for the money.

Mothers, come home to your family. Begin watching over and guarding your home. Take time to fix nutritious food, watch your children play outside, and read to them. Tell them all the wonderful Bible stories of old and about the Rock of the Ages. You were created to be at home with your children. They need you.

She opens her mouth with wisdom, 
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. 
She looks well to the ways of her household 
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Proverbs 31:26,27