Sunday, April 7, 2013

Cultivating A Quiet And Gentle Spirit


You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.
I Peter 3:4

This admonition from scripture isn't easy for us strong-willed, outgoing, and talkative women.  Does it mean we are to be quiet, never sharing our opinions, and not talk much.  I am not sure but I think quiet means quiet and gentle means gentle.

I think it is good for us to make it our ambition to lead a quiet life {I Thessalonians 4:11} and work with our hands.  One reason Paul tells young widows to get married is so they won't go around from house to house being gossips {I Timothy 5:13} because too much talk leads to sin {Proverbs 10:19}.

Therefore, I think when God commands us to adorn ourselves by being quiet, I think He actually means to learn to be quiet, something that is difficult for us talkative ones to  obey.  When we talk too much, we fail to listen to others.  We are too busy thinking about how we will respond.

Gentleness is also a quality we need to cultivate.  We need to learn to be gentle with people, not always insisting on our own way, not having to have the last word, and willing to apologize quickly when we are in the wrong.  These are all things I am still learning.

It is much easier to be submissive to your husband when you learn to be quiet and gentle.  It doesn't mean you can't tell him your opinion, but please, don't give him "a piece of your mind."  That, I am sure, is far from the heart of God.  Your husband is your leader and you are called to respect him.

I am sure my family would say I am much better than I use to be but I am still cultivating it!  I want to be known as a quiet and gentle woman.  I want to make myself precious to my Savior.  It is the least I can do for all He has done for me.

Making Your Home Sing, Inspire Me Monday
 Metamorphosis Monday, Imperfect Prose