Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Experiencing Drugs, Sex, And Alcohol

His oldest son went to the same Christian school that my children attended in high school.  After graduating high school, his son went to a secular university.  He came home and told his two younger siblings they needed to go to the local public high school because the Christian school didn't prepare him for the partying, sleeping around, alcohol, and drug use that goes on at the university he is now attending.  Therefore, this father put his two younger children in the public high school.

When he was telling me this,  all I could think of was I am so happy I don't need to be around people who are partying, sleeping around, and involved in alcohol and drugs.  I would never intentionally put myself in that kind of a situation, yet many parents are doing just that when they put their children in public schools.

This was very strange logic to me.  He said the Christian school protected them from that stuff too much.  "Hallelujah!" was my thought.  Why any parent wants to intentionally expose their children to that garbage is WAY beyond me.  Maybe some of you can explain it to me...

We are commanded to dwell on the lovely and the good.  We are told bad company corrupts good morals.  We are told to walk with the wise.  This doesn't seem to be happening in the public schools.  You put a bunch of young, hormonally driven children together without any parental protection and you are asking for trouble.  The statistics of Christian children walking away from the faith after being in public schools is frightening.

Yes, we need to be in the world being salt and light but most of our children aren't ready to do that before the age of 21.  When they have deep roots in Jesus, then send them out into the world to share their faith with a dying world but don't let them be polluted by it before they are well prepared.

Bring them {your children} up in the 
nurture and admonition of the Lord.
Ephesians 6:4