Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Steven's Wedding Day Letter to Us


Our greatest goal in raising children was to raise them in the nurture and the admonition of the Lord. We talked about the Lord to our children often. They knew exactly where we stood, on the Rock of our salvation. Right after Steven’s wedding, he handed us two letters, one from both of them. I am going to print them out for all of you to read {with their permission, of course}. I think it is important to give all of you hope that you CAN raise godly offspring. We did and many others have also, since God said that one of the purposes of marriage is to raise godly offspring {Malachi 2:15} and He never gives commands that He doesn't enable us to obey!

Dear Mom and Dad,

Today’s a day I thought would never come, yet here it is. The day I commit my life to the most amazing young woman I have ever known. Our prayers finally paid off. I’m writing this letter to you in an attempt to say thank you. I’ve realized in my 27 years on this earth that very few families are as blessed as our family. Thank you for the amazing family you have raised and specifically for the way you have raised me. I know without a shadow of a doubt that I would not be where I am today without both of your guidance, leadership and love.

Mom ~ Thank you for the countless hours you spent changing my diapers, making healthy meals for me, driving me to sports games, driving me to school, home schooling me, praying for me and loving me. Most importantly, thank you so much for the way you have shined the love of Jesus to me each and every day. I will never forget the many hours you spent teaching us about the word of God and reading us the Bible in the morning. Lastly, thank you for being such an amazing example to me. The way you have endured so many years of pain and suffering, yet have never wavered in your faith, is something I respect so deeply about you. It’s easy to say the right thing every once in a while, but being with you at home on a daily basis, I know your faith has never faltered. You are a true woman of God and my hope and prayer is that one day my kids will be able to learn from their amazing grandma. I love you so much.

Dad ~ You have always been the rock of our family. If there is ever a need in the family you are the first to respond. Thank you for spending the time to build a relationship with me and teaching me. Thank you for countless hours you spent throwing batting practice, hitting ground balls, shagging baseballs, helping with my homework, driving me all over California for games, filming my games, rebounding basketballs, teaching me how to shoot, throw, hit and kick, and financially supporting me. I owe you big time and I hope that in the years to come I can begin to start taking care of you for all you have done for me. Lastly, thank you for coming into my room at five years of age and sharing me the love of Jesus and praying with me that I may accept Jesus into my life. Although a long time ago and I was very young, I will never forget you leading me in the praying for my soul. From that moment, you have never ceased teaching me about Jesus and I thank you for this. As I said previously, the “four most important things in life” will always be with me and I will continue this on to my kids one day.

Finally, thank you both for the example you have set of a marriage that has been faithful to one another. I know you struggled in the first 20 years of your marriage, yet the way you both love one another now is something I truly admire. Thank you for this example of a Christ-like love on both of your parts and setting such an incredible example for Emily and me.

I love you so much,

Steven

 I have no greater joy than to hear 
that my children walk in truth.
3 John 1:4