Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Overcoming Evil {Even Halloween} with Good!


The Gospel story is about good overcoming evil. Jesus overcame death, sin and eternal damnation on the cross. We are commanded to overcome evil with good; to be salt and light in a dark and decaying world. I have one friend who takes this very seriously and used Halloween as an opportunity to turn evil into good. She isn't about to stand still and allow Satan to win!

On Halloween night, they had this sign lit up in their yard. "Okay, I used to love Halloween as a kid. I also dressed my kids up like many of you, but I had limits. 'NO death or dark stuff.' Ten years ago, I decided to be the 'house of light.' I turned ALL lights ON and lit fragrant smelling candles everywhere. I nailed this sign to my front tree with a spot light on it! Three years ago, I decided to start giving out $1 for anyone who knew a Bible verse. I had only two. I said, 'Come next year and I'll give you $5.' Last year, I had about five who came back and got $5. This year, I was blown away. I had about 15; they were older kids between 8-16. I wasn't prepared!!! I grabbed my 'oatmeal' box with lots of change. One group of about 10 all had a memorized verse!"

She enjoyed doing this so much that her husband even got involved in the action! Michael said, "Next year, I'm giving you a pile of cash!!" Two teens came back for the third year with several verses and I gave them $10 each. Next year they promised me a "whole chapter" for $20!! One little eight year old said, "Wow, I love this house. It's just {she looked around at everything}, it's just GREAT"! I'm going to start saving!!!

Rebecca and Michael understand what is at stake. They know they are called to preach the Gospel and use every single opportunity to do it! They love people more than their money and choose to use their money to lead these precious children to the Lord, if that's what it takes to get the Word of God into their hearts. After all, Halloween is celebrated by children and children have soft, teachable hearts. Why not use this holiday to open wide your doors and spread the Gospel of the Good News?

Thank you, Rebecca and Michael, for giving us a clear example of overcoming evil with good. Another neighbor of mine used it for "Truth or Treat." When the children came to her door, she had a bowl full of Bible verses along with treats. 


Brandi, from the chat room, wrote this about her Halloween, "Our son is dressing up as a mailman. He is passing out mail to the neighbors. It's envelopes with candy and a Bible verse that resembles the address." They made a "mail truck" for him to deliver them in!



Be creative! Use this holiday to minister to the precious children who willingly come to your door and bring light into the darkness! This culture NEEDS Christians who stand out boldly for Christ. As Rebecca stated, "I'm just sick of complaining about the darkness instead of overcoming it!!! Can I get an 'Amen' sister?"

Neither do men light a candle, 
and put it under a bushel,
but on a candlestick;
 and it gives light unto all that are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men,
that they may see your good works, 
and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 5:15, 16