Thursday, July 7, 2011

Our Most Basic Responsibility

"She makes a commitment to be the best wife, mother, and manager of the home that anyone could be...Her most basic responsibility is to make her husband's home run smoothly...Men (and children) appreciate good meals, a clean house, and an atmosphere of peace - a refuge from the stress of life." (Debi Pearl)

How can a woman who works outside of the home have enough energy to cook nourishing food for her family, shop for good deals, save money around the home, keep her home clean, give her children the attention they need, and love on their husbands?  Can they do all that? 

I know I sure couldn't when I was a teacher.  I had no energy left for Ken.  He is suppose to be my most important responsibility, but I had no energy left for him.  Was the extra money worth hurting my marriage?  I can't answer those questions for you, only for myself.  The Bible seems to imply that the best place for a woman is in her home, but it definitely doesn't say it is a sin for them to work outside of the home.

When I would come home from school, even from high school, I would call for my mom as soon as I got home and want to tell her all about my day...what guy smiled at me that day, how hard a test was, or a funny joke a teacher told.  I loved the security of knowing she was always home. 

Many women will tell you they can't afford to stay home.  I am not sure that is true for most women if they cut out a lot of the wants from their lives, but it may be true for some, if their basic needs aren't being met.  Each husband and wife have to come to their own convictions about this, but I think it is best if the wife can be home as much as possible and do her work heartily, as to the Lord.

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord,  and not unto men. Colossians 3:23