Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Think The Truth

"You are what you think, and God tells you how to think:  Think the truth.  This is not the power of positive thinking;  this is the power of the truth as God defines it.   You are created to be your husband's helper, not his conscience, not his vocation director, and certainly not his critic.  When you develop an adversarial relationship with your husband, you do so on the premise that you are right and he is wrong...In thinking he is wrong and you are right, you declare yourself wiser than he, more spiritual, more discerning, more sacrificial, etc...No woman will ever have peace and joy until her mind is filled with goodwill toward her husband."  Debi Pearl

I use to think I was much more spiritual and wiser than Ken, because I read my Bible and prayed every day and he did not.  I was much more committed to church and Bible Studies than he was.  I didn't watch some of the shows on TV that he did, so I was much more holy.  Little did I realize how sinful my critical thoughts towards him were.

A young newlywed was staying at our home awhile ago.  I asked her if she had devotions with her husband.  She said, "No."  I told her we just started having devotions together several month ago. She asked if it has helped our marriage.  I told her that the devotions aren't what helped our marriage.  It was when I stopped nagging and trying to change him that our marriage became good.  I forgot to remove the log out of my own eye before I tried taking the splinter out of Ken's eye. 

Thankfully the log is out now and I can see much more clearly!  He is a godly man.  He works hard, is faithful to me, and loves his children.  He just shows it differently than I do.  Hopefully, you will start thinking on truth a lot sooner that I did!

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  Philippians 4:8