Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Self-Fulfilling Prophecy


There are very few husbands that are truly amazing.  They adore their wives and do everything they can to make them happy.  They are romantic and tell their wives they are beautiful at least once a week.  They listen carefully when their wives want to talk and hold them tightly when they cry.  They frequently buy them flowers and gifts.

However, there are a lot of men that are not like that.  They do not live up to the expectations their wives set.  They watch too much television or play too many sports.  They don't say romantic things to their wives and they are not as attentive to them when they talk as they should be.

Wives who are married to these types of men get discouraged.  They may find themselves telling a close friend,  "My husband just isn't fulfilling me.  I feel empty."  "My husband will never make me happy."

As an older woman, I want to encourage you who say things like this about your husbands to stop.  It may become a self-fulfilling prophecy.  The words we speak out loud have a huge influence upon us.   Begin speaking truth to yourself instead, "My husband is perfect for me and I love him so very much."  "I am going to be the best wife possible to my husband no matter what!"

You have no ability to change your husband into the man you want him to be.  Yes, you can express your desires a few times and then give them to the Lord.  Don't put your expectations upon your husband's back.  You knew what you were getting when you married him, now accept him just the way that he is and be thankful.

We are only to speak uplifting words of encouragement of praise.  Telling others the faults of your husband only hurts your marriage.  If they are sinful things, tell them to a trusted mentor and get godly advice from her but protect your husband's integrity and your marriage.

Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, 
but only such a word as is good for edification 
according to the need of the moment, 
so that it will give grace to those who hear.
Ephesians 4:9