Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Are Working Mothers In Sin?


If God calls us to be homemakers then isn't a woman who isn't a homemaker in sin? I agree with you that God calls us to be homemakers. In the Bible it's pretty clear that not following the ways of God the Father is sin. How are women who are not staying at home with their husbands or children not sinning against God? 

This was a question asked of me on one of my posts.  No, I don't think that mothers who work are sinning.  The Bible is very clear what sin is and even lists them:   

The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;  idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 
Galatians 5:19-21

But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 
Ephesians 5:3,4

Issues such as working mothers, how many children you choose to have, birth control, etc. are not clearly addressed in Scripture.  I simply try to teach what I believe are God's ideals for women.

Some women must work because of a husband's ill health, abandonment, etc.  Life is not perfect, but that does not mean I will not teach God's best for most women.  If you are a mother and have the ability to stay home, I will always encourage you to stay home to train your children, please and serve your husband, and learn to be a good homemaker.

I do believe, however, it is a sin when a mother decides to work for "self-fulfillment" and doesn't have the time or energy to train her children, please her husband, or keep her home.  This, to me, is definitely considered sin, which is another word for selfishness.