Monday, May 26, 2014

Sow Life Into Your Marriage


Her husband loved her unconditionally even when she admits she was a terrible wife with a broken past. Here are her own words describing her behavior and her husband's actions ~

God called my husband to complete me. He called him to save me from my own destruction. My husband understands charity. He never seeks after his own. No matter how badly I treated him, threatened to leave him, cussed and fumed at him, and no matter how many mind games I played against him, he just loved me. He loved me. He loved me. When I did not deserve love, he loved me. When I was selfish and prideful, he loved me. And when I ask him, even today, "How did I ever deserve you?" He looks back every time, and he says, "How did I ever deserve you?"

Their marriage became a beautiful love story as she stopped seeing the glass half empty and began being filled with joy. Soon afterwards, she was in a bad accident and was bedridden for a long time. This is what she said about her husband during this difficult time ~

I would often say to my husband, "I was created to be your help meet, not you being created to be my help meet." This man of few words would say in response, "I was created to do what ever needs doing, and right now I am going to take care of you." He encouraged me to live. He encouraged me to rise above my circumstances and choose life. Choose joy. He always wants me to be all I was created to be. While I shine and prosper, he hides in the background. He is a humble, quiet man. He never looks for glory or honor in any form. He humbly serves his family and his Lord.

Her husband was a servant who willingly washed his wife's feet even when she was very difficult. But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. Matthew 23:11

Now instead of reading a beautiful love story like this and being jealous, "My husband isn't like that at all!" think about becoming a servant to your husband; one who loves him unconditionally even when he doesn't deserve it. I use to read marriage books that told stories like this and they would just make me discontent with how Ken treated me. Now, I read things and say, "I want to be like this husband is to his wife to my husband." We reap what we sow. Sow life into your marriage and you will reap life.

You can read all of Erin's story HERE.