Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Were You Absolutely Certain?


Were you absolutely certain you were marrying the right person on your wedding day?  Were you madly in love with your soon-to-be spouse? I sure wasn't certain. I knew Ken had most of the qualities I wanted in a man. I wanted a man who loved Jesus. He worked hard. He was tall, dark, and handsome. He wanted children. Marrying him was a heart decision.

However, we argued a lot. The thing we argued about the most was food {I am terribly ashamed to admit.}  He ate mostly junk food and I was a health nut. We actually argued about almost everything. I was always upset with him about something.

I don't think there was any man out there who I would have married that I would have been absolutely certain that he was the one for me.  I was very critical. I expected a lot from Ken, instead of loving, serving, and pleasing him. I didn't accept him as he was at all. I did almost everything wrong in the marriage department.

I just asked Ryan, my son, if he was absolutely certain Erin was the right woman for him on the day he married her. He said, "Absolutely!"  I asked him if he had any doubts.  He said, "No."

Erin started off her marriage doing almost everything right. Ryan said she has never nagged him or told him what to do. She treats him like a wife and not like a mother. Alyssa, my daughter in the picture, started off right also. Of course they aren't perfect, but they do most things the right way. They love to please their husbands and make them happy. Their husbands easily accept their faults, because they love them so much. T

So, how about you? On your wedding day, did you have any doubts or misgivings?  Were you madly in love with him?

Thankfully, Ken and I stuck it out until my eyes were opened to all the ways I was destroying our marriage before it was too late, because I now know that he is perfect for me. I think he thinks I am perfect for him, also. I married him with my head but my heart has finally followed!

May your fountain be blessed, 
and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.  
Proverbs 5:18