Friday, November 18, 2011

Count The Cost


Many women considering divorce don't count the cost.  Sure, your marriage may be bad, but think about what your life will be like if you get a divorce...

I just got this email from a woman commenting on my Discontent Wives post ~

"Today I read 'Discontent Wives' & found myself in tears, with desperation. I am separated from my husband because I was a 'discontent wife'. I am heartbroken & the Lord has been convicting my heart for weeks now. I have asked for forgiveness & am desperately praying that God will heal my marriage. I have a little boy (who will be 2 tomorrow). I was a stay at home mom (& I miss it SO much). I took it for granted because I didn't feel like my needs were being met."

My parents had a bad marriage.  They argued all the time.  My dad worked all the time.  He was an only child and my mom was one of seven children.  They are almost completely opposite in every area.  I wanted them to divorce when I was younger.  I didn't like having tension in our home all the time.

I've changed my mind.  They stuck it out.  They have three children {along with their husbands} and ten grandchildren {with two spouses} all walking with Jesus.  They love and appreciate each other now.  My mom never had to go out and get a job and leave us to be raised by someone else.  We had a father.  Children want a father, even if he isn't a great father. 

Single motherhood is very hard.  Raising children by yourself is hard.  You must ask yourself if you want to exchange one difficult situation for another, maybe even more difficult.  Please, consider the cost.

Marriage is honourable in all. 
Hebrews 13:4

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. 
Genesis 2:24