Saturday, December 10, 2011

Selfish Or Servant?


Which word describes you???  You are one or the other.

For the first 23 years of my marriage, selfish described me.  I only thought about me and how Ken wasn't making ME happy.  I went about trying to manipulate and change him through arguing, pouting, and crying.  I was even selfish with others.  I didn't enjoy giving.  I would definitely describe myself as a taker.

The day our marriage changed dramatically was the day I went up to Ken's office and asked him what I could do to please him.  Sure, he'd spent many hours trying to help me to think clearly and it definitely helped some, but I wasn't a very good listener.  The Lord had to hit me over the head with a bat.  He did that with Created To Be His Help Meet.

We are commanded in Scripture to be servants ~

Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant
Matthew 20:26

The greatest among you will be your servant
Matthew 23:11

Jesus came down to earth not to be served, but to serve.  He gave His life away that many will live.  He is our example to follow.

The more you learn to be a servant and a giver, the happier you will become.  Your marriage will be better.  Your children will enjoy you more.  Your friends will like you more.  The Bible is true when it says that we will reap what we sow.

So I encourage you to ask your husband how you can serve him better.  Look for ways to serve him more.  Stop being selfish and start calling yourself a servant!  Start washing other people's feet with your life.

Thankful for ~

Family traditions
Warm days and cold nights
Full moons
Heaven, Hope, and Eternal Life
Spirit-filled church
Heaters to keep us warm
Down comforters