Thursday, December 1, 2011

Heap Coals On Their Head!


If someone is angry with you {including your spouse} or if someone is doing anything wrong to you, the Bible says to heap burning coals upon their head.  That sounds great!  That will get them back for hurting us!

Wait...It doesn't mean what I think it means ~

It means to allow them to be angry with me. 

It means to let them mistreat me. 

It means to respond in kindness. 

It means giving them to God and allowing Him to work in their life.

I have experienced this recently.  Someone was really angry with me.  It was clearly unjustified anger.  My sister was sitting next to me when it happened.  I, through God's Spirit working powerfully through me, was able to just sit there, smile, and nod.  My sister's face showed shock and disbelief. 

It was wonderful!  To be able to respond in gentleness and kindness instead of defending myself felt so much better.  I am still far from perfect in this area, but I am slowly getting it.  God's ways work.  How come we keep forgetting that?

So the next time your husband, co-worker, boss, etc. is angry with you, be kind back.  Don't fight back.  Let God do that for you.  He does a much better job.  Heap burning coals upon their head!  You win people with kindness!!!  Why is it so hard for us to get that?

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath:  for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.  Therefore if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink:  for in so doing you shall heap coals of fire on his head.  Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good
Romans 12:19-21

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger
Proverbs 15:1

Alphabe-Thursday