Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Curse Of Being First Born


Controlling.  I would love to control everybody around me...I always think I know best.  My youngest daughter, Cassi, is not controlling at all.  Neither is my youngest sister, Debbi.  Ryan, who is my second born pictured above, is the opposite of controlling.   They have no desire to control others.  How freeing that must be!

I nearly destroyed my marriage because I was so controlling.  The bottom line of being controlling is selfishness, wanting my own way.  I have learned to battle this curse, ie. sin.  I don't want to be controlling.  Other people don't like being controlled.  I know I sure wouldn't want to be controlled by someone else.

Now there are some positives about being the first born.  They are usually born leaders and have strong personalities.  They can be trained for good things...good leaders and teachers.  All personality types have positive and negative qualities.

The key is to know what your negatives are and work on getting rid of them.  Acknowledge that they are wrong.  Recognizing and admitting your sin is the first step to getting rid of it.  Then ask the Lord to help you overcome it.  Realize the freedom you have in Christ and let His Spirit work inside of you.

So to all you firstborns out there who are controlling, recognize it and repent of it!  It destroys marriages and relationships.  Let people be who they are and do what they want to do.  Life is much more pleasant and peaceful this way.  Others will even want to have you around.  Hopefully, Emma, a first born, will not follow in her grandmother's footsteps!

Work at living in peace with everyone,
and work at living a holy life,
for those who are not holy will not see the Lord.
Hebrews 12:14