Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Do All Women Need College Degrees?

Without an education, I would be so much less effective in educating my kids, creating meaningful change in my community, supporting my husband, and even just being an interesting partner to him.

This was a comment left on one of my posts recently. I completely disagree with this statement.  I think our society has put way too much emphasis on education {man's knowledge} and mostly humanistic teaching.

My oldest daughter never went to college.  She became a professional ballerina instead.  She used her talent to witness to others the joy of knowing Jesus.  She is incredibly intelligent and loves studying the Word.  She is a great help meet to her husband.  If she decides to educate her children someday, she will do a fantastic job.  She creates meaningful change in her community by being involved in her church.

My mother never attended college, well maybe one semester.  She was the most amazing mother I could have ever asked for.  She was always home with us, disciplining and training us, fixing healthy food for us, and giving us a warm, clean home.  She helped neighbors when they were sick.  She taught health classes at church.  She babysat my children a lot when they were growing up.  She didn't need an education to accomplish any of this!

If your desire is to be a wife and mother full time someday, choose your path carefully.  Don't go into deep debt to get an education.  Don't pursue a career that would be hard to leave if you have children.  Some will say, "Yes, but they can work a couple of days a week."  I wouldn't have wanted to leave my babies with anybody ever.  I wanted to raise them full time.
 
College isn't for everyone.  Some women don't like college and shouldn't feel like they have to go because everyone else goes.  Get involved in community activities or your church.  Find out what your gift and talents are and use them to minister to others.  Maybe you love serving people.  Be a waitress or nanny.  College is getting more and more expensive every day.  It shouldn't be a requirement for every woman.  You can lead a very productive, full life without it.

Let a widow be enrolled if she is not less than sixty years of age, having been the wife of one husband, and having a reputation for good works: if she has brought up children, has shown hospitality, has washed the feet of the saints, has cared for the afflicted, and has devoted herself to every good work.
I Timothy 5:9

Simple LivesFrugal Days