Saturday, January 28, 2012

Should Christians Have Fun?


This young thirteen year old wrote me this recently ~

I am thirteen years old so I don't pretend to know anything about pain, or life or anything much but you mentioned that while you were sick, you didn't have much fun.  Now as a kid I love to have fun, but is having fun the world's way of joy? Do Christians need fun?

Christ fills our hearts.  He fills us with joy and love.  Is fun a worldly way of filling that gap? Nothing against it, just saying we can have joy through pain {we rejoice in our suffering}.

My grandfather died one year ago.  He had cancer.  He was in pain.  He was in the hospital for months. He knew he was dying. Was he having fun? No. Was he at peace? Yes. Did he have JOY?  YES! He died at peace on November 13, 2010. It hurts, but I know he is in a better place. A place he will be in forever. I am not saying anything bad about fun, just saying we can be joyful without the world's idea of fun.

So, should Christians have fun?

I am a mother to four children.  I have always loved seeing them have fun and enjoy life.  I realize it can't be all the time and shouldn't be, because life is hard.  They need to work and go through trials to make them strong and lean on the Lord more, but I want them to enjoy life.  Is it always possible?  No, but I want them to have times of fun and enjoyment.

My heavenly Father loves me and you.  I am sure He loves seeing us have fun and enjoying life, but I know He allows trials to make us become more like Him and trust Him more.  He has "given us richly all things to enjoy." {I Timothy 6:17}

When I was sick and in pain for 20 years, nothing was fun:  eating with friends and family, going out to coffee with a friend, or walking along the beach.  Now, since I feel so much better, all those things are fun.  I am sure the Lord is happy that I am happy, as long as I am walking in the Spirit and loving others.

He is a gracious God. There are many times in Scripture He commands us to rejoice and He speaks of being happy a lot.  No, our goal in life shouldn't be to seek fun, but in loving God and loving others, life will be fun at times.  He created us with the ability to laugh and smile. 

Being joyful draws others to us and if we can have fun while doing it, great!  If not, either way, God will be glorified.  He wants joyful children just as I want joyful children.  Everything in life that is really fun is from Him...food, sunsets, pets, children, sex, etc.  Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Happy are thy men, happy are these thy servants, which stand continually before thee, and that hear thy wisdom
I Kings 10:8

Happy is the man that has his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed , but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate
Psalms 127:5

Happy is that people, that is in such a case: yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD
Psalm 144:15

Happy is the man that finds wisdom, and the man that gets understanding.
Psalm 3:13

If you know these things, happy are ye if you do them
John 13:17