Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Women Pastors


Danielle commented on one of my posts concerning women with children being keepers at home the following ~

So then I guess your stance would be that there shouldn't be any woman pastors, evangelists, missionaries, teachers, prophetesses, etc.? Because all of those roles would be outside of the home? No where in the Bible does it limit those positions/titles to men.

I believe the Bible does limit the role of pastor to men.  Read I Timothy carefully and Paul's instruction to the church. 

The first thing he writes to the leaders of the church is, "This is a true saying, If a MAN desire the office of a bishop, he desires a good work..." 
{I Timothy 3:1}.

To bishops he writes, "A bishop then must be blameless, the HUSBAND of one wife..." 
{I Timothy 3:2}. 

To deacons he writes, "Even so must their wives be grave...Let the deacons be the HUSBANDS of one wife..." 
{I Timothy 3:11}. 

He also writes concerning order in worship, "But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence" 
{I Timothy 2:12}.

All throughout the Bible, men are the leaders...Moses, Noah, Abraham, Paul, Jesus, etc.  Sure there was Queen Esther, but she was married to a King.  God definitely used women in powerful ways to accomplish his goals and puts the same worth upon women as a man, He just gave us different roles.

Most men are stronger physically and emotionally.  They don't have to deal with PMS and menopause.  God's ways are good.  They are for women's protection. 

I am sure I will hear from some of you about how wrong I am, but please use Scripture to back up your arguments.  That is what I base all of my beliefs upon.  I never want to water it down to fit my lifestyle or what society tells me is right.  I enjoy hearing other's viewpoints and am always open to learning.