Sunday, May 29, 2011

Getting Sweeter

The sweeter I am to him, the more he likes me, and the more I like myself...We make life so complicated with our demands to be treated fairly.
Debi Pearl

We go to Door County, Wisconsin every summer.  Our cabin is two hours from the airport.  One summer as we were leaving the cabin to go to the airport, our children were arguing about something "not being fair." 

My husband gave them a two hour lecture on life not being fair all the way to the airport.  I am sure every single one of them remembers that lecture.  It worked!  We never heard those words come out of our children's mouth after that.  This made for a pleasant home life. 

They never argued about who would sit in the front seat of the car...EVER.  When their piece of cake was smaller than someone else's, they didn't complain.  They NEVER wanted a two hour lecture from dad ever again! ;)

I have found that first sentence to be so true in my marriage.  The sweeter I am to him, the more he likes me, and the more I like myself.  I use to always have pity parties, because I didn't think that he treated my fairly. 

What a waste of time...Like that was going to make him like me more?  I don't know what I was thinking.  Thankfully, I have learned the truth and the truth has definitely set me free from my selfish, unthankful self.