Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What Makes You Happy?


On Oprah years ago, there was this man who is a famous director. At one time in his life, he owned three big mansions, many cars, a private jet, etc. Several days after he moved into his brand new 17,000 square feet home, he realized it didn't make him any happier. He decided to sell most of his stuff and bought a double wide trailer in Malibu on the ocean. Granted, it was a beautiful trailer with a magnificent view but it was far less than what he previously owned.

Joe Jonas has everything society thinks makes a person happy: a private jet, wealth, adoring fans, girls flocking all over him and fame. Do you think he is any more happy than he was when he had none of these things? I would wager that he is LESS happy with all of these things than he was before.

Ken always thought I wanted granite counter tops in my kitchen with gorgeous stainless steel appliances. I don't. I never have but after watching that show, I realized if I did get those counter tops and appliances, they wouldn't make me any happier. Stuff never makes anyone happier. Being content with what we have makes us happy. Working hard and having a purpose greater than ourselves makes us happy. Having meaningful relationships in our life make us happy. Knowing who I am in Christ and all the riches I have in Him, being thankful for all that I have; this is what makes me happy. What makes you happy?

Happy is that people, that is in such a case: 
yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD.  
Psalm 144:15