Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Wise Woman Takes Rebuke

Raise your hand if you are good at taking rebuke or correction!  Do you know anybody that is good at taking it?  It's tough but you know what, I have tried very hard the past few months to take it and not get offended or argue back. It's good...I know it is what I am suppose to do. 

I wrote a post titled I Am Not Perfect and I admitted I wasn't perfect.  I think this topic bears being repeated.  Friendships and marriages are ruined because we don't want to listen to others criticize or correct us. The key to becoming a better person is listening to those around you and taking their rebuke or criticism.  They are a mirror to our behavior.  Others see our faults better than we do and we can learn from them if we are open to listening.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if every time you have a problem with someone you felt free to go and discuss it with them?  You would know they wouldn't get upset with you but would really listen? 

I think that is partly what humility looks like...Being able to take it, absorb it, and apply it to our lives....Learning from each other.  The Bible says that iron sharpens iron so let's start being open to allowing others to sharpen us.  It isn't fun or easy but it is good and we are called to be good.

Criticism can increase your potential for growth mentally, emotionally and spiritually.  Until you learn to accept criticism, you may never learn who you truly are.  It is in criticism that you will learn your weaknesses and the things you need to change.  A teachable person will accept and seriously consider criticism. 
{Profile of a Godly Woman by Ray Powell}

Better are the wounds of a friend, than the deceitful kisses of an enemy.  Proverbs 27:6