Sunday, July 21, 2013

Turning From The Error Of Their Ways


My dad was at my sister's home the other day.  My sister had several of her childhood friends over.  One of the women asked my dad if she could talk to him.  She sat down beside him.  She then went on to tell him how much she appreciated my mom.  She said my mom kept her from going down a very dark path when she was a teenager.  She wept as she told my dad this.

We will never fully know how many people we influence in this life just by living a godly life and helping steer others from harm and evil.  The greatest witness we have is in the way we live our lives.  Others are watching...

My home was rare when I was growing up.  Most of my friends parents were divorced or the mothers had careers and were away from the home all day.  My dad was the sole provider so my mom could stay home and care for us.

Everyone loved coming to our home.  My mom loved feeding every one and our home was always stocked with good food.  My parents took us to church every Sunday, sent us to Christian summer camps every summer, paid for us to go to a Christian college {which was only $3500 for room, board, and tuition my freshmen year!}, and loved Jesus.  Our faith was very important to us.  My mom truly loved those whom God put into her path.

She has never been verbally outspoken about her faith but she did show her love for Jesus in the way she lived her life.  Her main priority in life has always been people.  She loves people!  God tells us over and over in Scripture that if we love Him, we will love people.

Whenever I write about my home growing up and my mom, I have people comment who remember my home and mom and the love and warmth they felt there in this mixed up, torn apart society we live it.  It was a place of refuge for many, many people, especially our friends when we were young.

If you have a home like that or were raised in a home like that, you are truly blessed.  Thank your parents.  Thank the Lord.  Be eternally grateful for the deep roots your parents gave you in this world that seems upside down.

God sets the lonely in families.
Psalm 68:6

My brothers and sisters, 
if one of you should wander from the truth 
and someone should bring that person back,  
remember this: Whoever turns a sinner 
from the error of their way 
will save them from death 
and cover over a multitude of sins.
James 5:19,20

Making Your Home Sing