Tuesday, March 24, 2015

What Do You Wish Your Parents Did Differently?


In the chat room, I asked the women, "If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?" Not ONE woman said that she wished her mom had a career and worked more from outside the home so they could have more stuff. Not one said they wished they had more fast food and came home to an empty home. Not one wished her parents would have gotten divorced.

Many shared how they wished their mom taught them how to cook and clean. Some wished their mom was home more and gave them more chores to learn responsibility. They wish their parents got along better and didn't argue. Some would have loved being raised in a Christian home. Here are some of the comments in their own words. {I removed their names to protect their privacy.} May we learn from them!

I was never made to do anything; never had chores or had to clean anything. Anytime I was told to clean my room or something, if I didn't do it, mom would do it for me. Never was punished or made to do anything. Learning to keep my house clean was a huge challenge for me. Still is.

I wish I would have learned to cook more, too. I pretty much had to teach myself. I have a lot of the same struggles.

My parents prioritized high grades over keeping my room clean, chores, and cooking. Great idea for raising an independent woman; not so great for training as a future stay-at-home mom. I didn't even know how to make pancakes from a box mix when I got married! I also wished I would have learned to sew while I lived at home and could ask my mom.

I wish my mom had taught me how to keep a home. She didn't ever teach me how to cook, clean, sew or anything. She didn't know how to do any of these things herself, so I grew up in a filthy home and eating TV dinners the majority of the time.

That they were more demonstrative with their love; meaning hugs and kisses. That dad was more of the leader of the family in certain areas.

I wish my mom would've been at home. Both my parents worked two jobs a piece until I was in high school. I was left to fend for myself while my little sister was in daycare. Children shouldn't be responsible for raising themselves.

That my parents had a second child and raised me in church.

To be raised in a Christian home and taught about Christ. Although my parents were/are awesome, they weren't Christian. I didn't get saved until about 4 years ago and didn't regularly go to church until around that time either.

I wish we had healthier meals. We ate too much fast food as we were always busy. Also, I wish I was allowed to be a kid more, instead of being forced to take sides in my parent's disagreements.

Are there some things you wish your parents did differently while raising you? It is good to learn from other's mistakes so we don't make the same while raising our children!

That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing,
 being fruitful in every good work, 
and increasing in the knowledge of God.
Colossians 1:10