Monday, March 9, 2015

A Clean Home is a Pretty Home


Have you ever noticed that it doesn't matter how beautifully decorated a home is, how large it is, how many modern appliances it has, or how much money is spent on it if it is a messy home? These things are not what make a home beautiful. It is a clean home that makes it pretty.

"Disorder is actually defined as a breach of peace...bringing order to any home would also bring peace. Simplicity is key to creating order in your home." (Cyndy Salzmann) "For God is not the author of confusion but of peace" (1 Corinthians 14:35).

Several years ago, I decided we needed another cat. We had one and we knew it needed a friend. I found kittens on Craigslist so I went to pick one up. To get to this kitten, I had to drive into a gated community of large, gorgeous homes. The home that I went to, however, was absolutely filthy and smelly!!! Yes, the mother had a few small children but this was SO bad. 

She had all the modern appliances, gorgeous floors, and furniture but it was cluttered and ugly. She showed me the bathroom where the kittens were and there was pee pee and poo poo all over the floor! It was so disgusting. I should have known right then and there that this was NOT the kitten for us. However, I held one of the smelly, little black ones and brought it home. 

Of course, it pee peed all over my furniture. I hated thinking of taking it to the pound so I tried SO hard to train it to not go on my furniture. Well guess what, she is trained now and never goes anywhere except her kitty litter, thankfully. Cat pee is WAY too smelly to have to put up with for long and can destroy a home.

Several years before this, we needed a new mattress. Yes, I know you aren't supposed to buy used mattresses but I thought if I could find a good price on one that came from a clean home, it would be worth it. It was just for a spare bedroom anyway; my oldest son's room after he moved out. I went to pick up the mattress that I found on Craigslist. It was in a poor section of town in a small apartment. The apartment building was unkempt. 

However, when I went into the apartment of the people who had the mattress, I quickly noticed that the place was spotless! It was a owned by a lovely Christian couple expecting their first baby, a candle was lit, and her home was beautiful. The mattress didn't have a spot on it and it is the MOST comfortable mattress in our home!

As you can see in the picture above, I don't have granite counter tops or stainless steel appliances which I don't care about at all.* I love my kitchen and I know I am blessed. However, it ALWAYS looks better when it is clean and tidy. My Mom and Dad lived in a condemned building when they first got married, but she kept it neat and tidy and made it into a home.

I've started making sure my kitchen is clean every night before I go to bed. What a difference this has made! I love waking up to a clean kitchen. It helps me to keep it cleaner throughout the day and I clean as I cook. I make my bed every morning. (A lot of the time, I neatly fold the covers back so the sheets air all day!)

 If you have children, they don't need a ton of toys. Teach them from a very young age to pick up after themselves and put what they use away. Teach them to keep their rooms tidy. The more habits you can train them to do when they are young, the easier it will be for them when they grow up. Also, keep your car from gathering clutter. I like my cars clutter-free as I do my home. The less clutter and stuff, the easier it is to keep clean!

God is a God of beauty and order. We should strive to have order, because when there is order, there is beauty, no matter how humble your home; NOT looking for perfection or being spotless, just clean and tidy!

He has made everything beautiful in its time. 
Ecclesiastes 3:11

*(UPDATE 4/7/18: Since writing this post, we did have granite counter tops installed because our sink was completely rusted out and leaking with mold under the sink. The counter tops were cracked in a few places and our stove top wasn't working. We still don't have stainless steel appliances, however, except for the stove top because I just don't like them and the appliances we have now work fine, except our dishwasher is broken so I am washing the dishes by hand which I don't mind at all!) 

More posts in my Home Series.