Sunday, January 19, 2014

My Belated New Year's Resolution



This is new for me.  I have never made a New Year's Resolution before.  On January 13th, I decided to make one.  I read this verse, "But without faith it is impossible to please him:  for he that comes to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."  Hebrews 11:6

My New Year's resolution is to seek Him.  I want to be rewarded by Him.  He also tells me, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."  Matthew 6:33

I am not stupid.  I know God is a promise keeper.  If He tells me to earnestly seek Him first and then I will receive rewards and provision, I best be seeking Him earnestly.  The dictionary says that earnestly means:  serious in intention, purpose, and effort, sincerely zealous.

What will this look like for me?  I have pondered this because I want to take it very seriously.  It means I will spend daily time in His word and in prayer.  When I have sleepless nights, which I have many, if I am in a lot of pain, I sing a hymn or chorus in my head over and over.  If I am not in much pain, I will sing in my head or pray so my nights are covered!

During the day, I will be more careful what I fill my mind with.  I will be intentional about what I watch on television.  I will listen to more godly sermons and read inspirational books.  I have always done this fairly well, but I want to do it "earnestly" for now on.

We have no idea how much more time we get on this earth.  Our days are numbered.  This is not our home.  We are strangers and aliens.  We are told that we show we love God by obeying Him.  He knows it benefits us greatly when we seek those things which are above.

Can I challenge all of you to seek Him earnestly?  Can you spend more time with Him?  Can you control your thoughts and think good thoughts and watch good things?  He is coming back.  He wants us to be ready for His arrival.  We must not waste any more time.

Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, 
making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. 
Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
Ephesians 5:15-17

***The picture was taken from my balcony a few weeks ago.  God is an amazing artist!