Sunday, January 5, 2014

My Mom's Cold Hard Rock


My parents didn't have a very good marriage while I was growing up.  My mom was never taught how to love and obey her husband.  She didn't have any good role models.  She tried to do the best she could.  She was faithful to my dad and loved her children.  Thankfully, they both always loved Jesus.

My dad worked long, hard hours to provide.  They are just so opposite in personality.  My dad was an only child and my mom was one of seven.  On Christmas morning, everyone shared favorite memories of them.  Everyone shared fun adventures with my mom, like snowboarding, trips to Coronado Island, etc.  They shared how my dad encouraged and helped with their education or health problems. {My dad was the one who made enough money for my mom to show everyone a good time!}

They have been married 61 years now.  When my sisters and I were in high school, my mom would talk about divorce.  In our ignorance, we all thought that would be great.  We could move to Santa Barbara and just have fun!

We are all so thankful it never materialized.  My mom never actually ever pursued a divorce.  She needed my dad.  Now, she calls him her rock.  I told everyone that on Christmas morning.  My dad's response was, "Yeah, cold and hard!"  We all laughed.

They didn't give up when the going was tough.  Many say it is better for parents to divorce than for children to hear their parents always quarreling.  That is not true.  It is better for children to see their parents be vow keepers, regardless of how good or bad their marriage is.

My mom really needs my dad now.  They are both almost 83 years old.  My dad takes her to all of her doctors' appointments.  He encourages her to exercise.  They hold hands and cuddle now.  My mom worries whenever my dad isn't feeling well.  She is so thankful she never left my dad.  We are all very thankful she never left my dad.  Growing old together is a lovely thing for the couple themselves, for their children, grandchildren, and even their great grandchildren!

Let thy fountain be blessed: 
and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.
Proverbs 5:18