Sunday, July 3, 2016

What Repulses You?


There have been many negative comments on my Always Learning Facebook page since my post went viral. For the most part, I ignore them, as usual. However, I saw a few comments from women who said they are "repulsed" by my words. After all, dropping your expectations when a husband refuses to do housework, instead of allowing the upsets to destroy your marriage; this is repulsive, right? Why spend time reading my words if they find them disgusting? Why not leave the words for my intended audience of like-minded women who want to follow what the Bible teaches us so we can be excellent Christian wives and mothers? Do they not understand that what I am teaching from the Bible was commonly taught for 2000 years until 40-50 years ago when the Church began to lose its saltiness? 

Perhaps, it is something else that repulses them? Many movies disgust me, so I don't watch them. Nor do I read books, blogs, articles, or magazines that are filled with sin. Sex scenes, nudity, foul language, and violence repulse me so I stay away from those things. Is it my words that repulse them or is it the ways of the Lord in general that repulses them? God's Word delights me as it satisfies my soul, and blesses me when I follow His ways. 

So how about you? Does the goodness of the Lord's ways disgust you? Do you have a huge distaste with the idea of loving, submitting, obeying, and reverencing your husband? Does the idea of being available sexually, not arguing, and learning to please him turn you off? If they do, and you say you are a believer, you need to check your heart as it is set against what God's Word tells you about your role as a Christian wife to your husband. The things of the Lord should be like a breath of fresh air for the saved and the evil things of the world should be repugnant.

The world has an evil prince who holds people in bondage to selfishness and anti-God thinking. There are many things the world enjoys based on the moral laws God has given. Who can't agree with loving  and serving others, not lying or murdering? Love your neighbor as yourself is the desired goal of most Americans, but the radical words of Jesus to love your enemies, no sex outside of marriage, and lay down your life for others, these things are considered to impinge on individual freedoms. Jesus said, "if the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you" {John 15:18} and, "I have given them your word, and the world hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world" {John 17:14}. 

I can see why the world is upset by God's Word as it demands a higher level of living where one must first surrender to the Lord Jesus and then seek to please Him in everything. This requires placing the interests of others above my own selfish interests. Yes, it is a narrow path and few want to walk this road less traveled, but it is the only way to find life, abundant and free. You will never have peace within yourself if you are following the world's ways. Man's ways can be creative, productive and rewarding at times, but they pale in comparison to what God has in store for those who choose to love and serve Him from the heart. His ways are good and they are right. Choose to serve your husband and family well, for in this way you will receive the greatest rewards. 

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. 
But I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly. 
John 10:10

For the word of the LORD is right; 
and all his works are done in truth.
Psalm 33:4