Thursday, October 31, 2013

Filthiness Of The Flesh


In bed the other night, my soul felt tormented like Lot's did when he lived in Sodom and Gomorrah for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard. 
2 Peter 2:8

I watch some talk shows to get a pulse of what is going on in society and for material for my blog.  One talk show has some fairly raunchy topics.  I usually speed through them.  This particular day every topic was so bad that I kept replaying what they spoke about in my head that night when I went to bed.

I kept trying to renew my mind with God's Truth and get rid of the polluting thoughts but it wasn't easy.  I decided then that I was no longer going to watch that show anymore.  I woke up and that morning as I was meditating on II Corinthians 6 and 7 God ministered to me ~

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? ...for ye are the temple of the living God...Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate,...and touch not the unclean thing...Let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfection holiness in the fear of God.

My flesh had become filthy from the things I had listened to.  It was an awful feeling.  Bad company does corrupt good morals.  We are commanded to dwell on the lovely, the good, and the pure for a reason.  Satan wages war with our soul when we fail to do this.

It is getting more and more difficult to do this with television and the Internet.  Even when I go to my AOL account, I have to see disgusting poses of immodest women.  Commercials are filled with them.  We must be vigilant for the devil roams around like a roaring lion looking whom he can devour.

We are commanded to flee sexual immorality and not even have it be named among us.  I want to encourage you to spend time daily in the Word and prayer.  Listen to praise music and good sermons.  Read good books. Be careful what you watch on television and the Internet.  Never be passive while watching it.  Do all you can to perfect holiness in the fear of God as God commands us to do.