Monday, October 28, 2013

Putting The Toilet Lid Down


Ken is very good about putting the toilet seat down.  He has been ever since we got married.  I am very grateful for that!  However, we have two cats who like to drink out of our toilet.  I don't want them drinking out of it because I don't think it is sanitary for them or for us to sit where the cats have been standing.

I decided the way to stop them was to keep the toilet lid down.  I have asked Ken several times to do it giving him my reasons why.  He remembers once in awhile but not often.  I walked past the bathroom yesterday and the lid was up.

I thought, "I could either be upset with him, scold him, and remind him once more or I can forget about it and just close it myself."  I decided to do the latter.  I spent way too many years being upset with him because he wasn't doing things the way I wanted him to do them.  It accomplished nothing good, just a bad marriage.

All of our husbands do things that can irritate us if we let them.  Women write me often about their husbands not helping with the children or housework, etc.  We all have a choice to make on how we are going to respond.  We can tell them our desires one time, maybe a few more, but then let it go.

Being angry and upset are Satan's tools to drive a wedge in the relationship.  Don't let him succeed.  God wants us to pursue peace even when things aren't going our way and our husbands are not "obeying" us.

Life is so much sweeter when you don't let your emotions control you but you decide to do what is right instead.  Keeping peace in your marriage is worth the sacrifice of not getting your way.  Accept your husband just the way he is with all of his faults and bad habits and you will find life to be much more peaceful and you will be much easier to live with for your whole family.  So next time you see the toilet lid up, his towel on the floor, or his dirty dishes in the sink, be a servant and put down the lid, pick up his towel, and clean his dirty dishes.  Peace is a beautiful thing.

Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy;
 without holiness no one will see the Lord.
Hebrews 12:14