Sunday, July 5, 2015

Is Loving Ourselves the Way to Happiness?

He's a very nice young man in his mid-twenties. He checks my food out for me at the health food store. We always chat while he's scanning my food. I asked him how he was doing and he said he was very tired because he had an 8:00 a.m. shift. I told him I get up between 4:00 and 5:00. I've always been an early riser. He asked me what I do at that time in the morning.

I told him I have my devotions and work on my blog. He asked me what I blogged about and I explained it to him. He replied, "Well, I hope you teach them how to love themselves." I answered, "Oh no, I teach them to stop thinking about themselves and to begin loving others. This is what brings the most happiness." He told me that sounded good and asked me how to find my blog!

It's funny how just a little bit of reasoning with people will help them understand their wrong ideas. We will NEVER become happy by learning to love ourselves. In fact, the less we think about ourselves and focus upon the Lord, His ways and serving and loving others, the happier we will be. 

I'm thinking of teenage girls. It's such a precarious time in life; trying to fit in, discover their maturing selves, interest in boys, etc. They become very introspective, competitive and feel unworthy. It's a vicious cycle that hurts many young girls. Instead, if we taught them to love and serve others instead of focusing on themselves, think how much happier and productive the teenage years would be!

All of us need to continually be reminding ourselves of doing this because it is so easy to only think about ourselves since we take ourselves everywhere with us. We have aches and pains, illnesses, eventually graying hair, wrinkles, etc. Our flesh demands we think of it so it takes strength of the will with Christ working mightily within us to keep our focus on Christ and His will for us. 

Did you ever noticed the Duggar girls and how happy, loved and secure they all seem to be? They're too busy helping with their siblings, doing schoolwork, and helping with the home and yard to think too much about themselves. The parents make sure they are serving in their community and even going on far away mission's trips to love the poor and needy. This causes them to be so grateful for what they have instead of comparing themselves to others and being unhappy. I'm sure the fact that they don't watch television and not attending public schools helps a lot also.

The greatest commandment of all is to love God and others. 

Then God commands ~

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Keep your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.
Colossians 3:1-4