Monday, April 9, 2012

Train Children To Work


My pastor went and visited this woman in a foreign country who adopts many children.  While he was visiting with her, there were six children in the home from three years old and up.  Every child was busy sweeping the floor, washing dishes, or doing something productive.  They all seemed very happy.

When my children were young, I would help in their classes at school.  One day, I had a small group and we were to find chores that the children did at home.  Not one of those children did one chore!  I would ask them if they made their beds or at least put their dishes in the sink, every single one said they didn't do anything around the house.

I love watching the Duggers on television.  They have 19 children and they have a buddy system where an older child is with a younger child helping them.  The older girls are in the kitchen cooking and the boys are doing outdoor chores.  They all seem very happy.

Elizabeth Elliot in her book Keep A Quiet Heart {which I heartily recommend} said that when she was raising her daughter with tribes in the jungle, all the children were busy working alongside their parents and as happy as can be.  Her daughter grew up enjoying working hard and the satisfaction that comes from that.

Work is good.  God created us to work.  We are raising a generation of lazy adults who feel entitled to everything even though they don't work for it. They sit around all day playing video games, watching television, and being unproductive.  This will lead to depression and dissatisfaction with life.

Teach your children to work with you at a very young age.  Emma helped me unload the dishwasher the other day.  I had her hand me the utensils.  I want to train her early to help.  She's 14 months old!  It is never too early.  They will grow up much happier and satisfied with life if they learn to work hard.

And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not to men.
Colossians 3:23

P.S.  See, Steven works very hard!  On breaks from dental school, he feeds his little niece!